Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Old Words in New Times

Was home last week after a long time. One of my favourite activities whenever I am there is to open my old book shelf, get all the old books, naah… friends out and just flip through the pages. It takes me back to almost surreal world of yesteryears. And the smell of old yellowish pages is the next best thing after ghar ka khana.
This time around, I was pleasantly surprised to discover an old diary, a diary which didn’t record my daily activities (read – mischief), but lines from books that inspired me at that time. Flipped through it immediately, and was reminded of H J Brown’s Life Little Instruction Code Book. Couldn’t help wondering that the world might have changed in the 15 years that have passed since I diligently copied lines from that book into my little red diary, but the words still hold true. With it came the realization that I have unknowingly followed some of the instructions, as I have been guilty of defaulting on a number of them. Read them for yourself. Here they come, along with Byzantine’s observations:

Never laugh at anyone’s dreams

Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt, but it’s the only way to live life completely (How true!)

Never drive while holding a cup of hot coffee between your knees (There are better ways of getting your balls hot and wet!)

Volunteer. Sometimes the jobs no one wants conceal big opportunities (Mentoring juniors, for example)

Don’t judge what you don’t understand (Just don’t judge. Pretend that you understood it, though, specially if your boss is around)

Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something (Her dad is already less intimidating for me as I think of this now)

Talk slow but think quick (Specially when you are meeting your girlfriend’s dad, think quickly of a fast get away in case things don’t go right)

Never betray a confidence

Never claim a victory prematurely

Remember that just the moment you say, “I give up”, someone else seeing the same situation is saying, “My, what a great opportunity” (Am reminded of the time when me and my girl had a bad fight and almost broke off… The same night a classmate of her proposed her :D)

Remember the three R’s: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for your actions

When you lose, don’t lose the lesson

Be the first to fight for a just cause

Don’t overlook life’s small joys while searching for the big ones (Hmmm… Agreed and followed to the T)

Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship (Don’t)

Don’t be surprised to discover that luck favours those who are prepared

Never say anything uncomplimentary about another person’s dog (I am sure a dog doesn’t say anything uncomplimentary about another person’s master!)

Remember the ABC’s of success: ability, breaks, courage (Breaks bole toh coffee breaks between work too, that’s what I keep telling my boss)

When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it (If you can’t, blame it on someone else or get the hell out of there)

Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice (Got a bad smile and a worse voice. Should I still smile when saying hello??)

Do the right thing, regardless of what others think (Others don’t include your girlfriend’s dad)

When shaking a woman’s hand, squeeze it no harder than she squeezes yours (Its her hand after all, it doesn’t have any erogenous zones)

Life will sometimes hand you a magical moment. Savor it (And don’t let the moment pass)

Spend some time alone (You will miss it once you get married)

When it comes to worrying or painting a picture, know when to stop (Better not to paint, and not to worry)

When taking a woman home, make sure she is safely inside her house before you leave (my woman gets shit scared that her dad will find out about me, and I am not even allowed to wait at a distance and see her enter safely into her house. She has made me swear on her and her grades that I should be off in a cab, lest I get late in reaching home. Women and their Dads, Phew!!)

Don’t discard a good idea just because you don’t like the source ( That’s difficult)

Don’t waste time waiting for inspiration. Begin, and inspiration will find you (Wait for money though. Money doesn’t find you, its you who has to do all the finding)

Don’t believe all you hear, spend all you have, or sleep all you want (Or read your girl’s chat transcripts when she leaves her inbox open in your laptop and goes to the loo)

When you say, “I love you”, mean it (Meant it every single time, sigh…)

When you say, “I am sorry”, look the person in the eye (If that gets a bit intimidating, stare at the point where the eyebrows might have joined)

When opportunity knocks, invite it to stay for dinner (Sleep with it too, I say!)

Watch your attitude. It’s the first thing people notice about you (Not in my case. People just notice that I am balding… errr bald. Then they stop noticing me altogether)

Keep your private thoughts private (Or else write a blog)

Put your jacket around your girlfriend on a chilly evening (The roll up your sleeves and show off your muscles too)

Use a favourite picture of a loved one as a book mark (Bad idea! I wouldn’t be able to finish a single book)

Never lose your nerve, your temper, or your car keys (One can only try)

Don’t ride a bicycle or a motorcycle barefooted (For riding everything else footwear is allowed??!! I don’t think so!! Not unless you have a shoe fetish)

Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risks (Saanjh, are you reading this? :P)

Don’t trust a woman who doesn’t close her eyes when you kiss her (You can. Trust me. Stare into those eyes while kissing. They bring you closer.)

Never tell a man he is losing hair. He already knows (He sure does)

When you mean no, say it in a way that is not ambiguous (An ambiguous yes is bad too. I almost ditched someone)

Grind it out. Hanging on just one second longer than your competition makes you the winner (Being a perennial no. 2, that’s all that I can do)

Approach love and cooking with gay abandon (Errr.. Love:when your girl’s dad isn’t around, cooking: when your mom isn’t.)

When you get really angry, stick your hands in your pockets (Or punch thin air)

Never be ashamed of honest tears

Remember that half the joy of achievement is in the anticipation (No wonder my relationship is so happy  )

Whether its life or a horse that throws you back, jump right back (And ride faster)

Remember that everyone you meet wears an invisible sign that reads “Notice me. Make me feel important.” (I do so too. So rush in appreciative comments ASAP)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

must say that i liked Byzantine's observations much more than the "inspiring" one-liners.. atleast they r way too realistic..
Cheers n keep posting !!

Saanjh said...

Agree with subbu.. ur observations made an interesting read..the one-liners looked preachy beside them.

Now cmon , one post in every 3 months!!?? U sure can do better than that !

Byzantine said...

@ subbu - i guess u took the last comment on my post a tad too seriously... thnks anyways :)

@ saanjh - no i can't... u overestimate my writing skills... i have been having a creative void for the last few months now... remember the crappy ad i designed for the fruit juice thing??