Thursday, April 5, 2007

Getting hurt is fun

It is funny how often I keep on going back to the past. Pretty ironical too, because “live for the present, let go of the past” is something I keep on harping to those souls in distress who come to me for counselling during or after their “personal problems”. Infact, if the Indian job market happens to go bust in the coming 12 months, I have an alternate career option to fall back upon – Agony Uncle.

Jokes apart, it is not without reasons that I look back to the past. It teaches more than a 3 credit course in a B school does. But, are we willing to learn? I know, I am not. Been there, done that – mistakes, I mean. And swore that the mistakes won’t ever be repeated. But to think of it, wouldn’t life be a hell of a boring place if we were to go all picture perfect.

At the risk of being branded as a freak or a weirdo, I proclaim that I like getting hurt. Remember the NBA ad that used to be aired on Star Sports in the mid ‘90s (there I go, back to the past) – “pain is just a form of releasing energy”? I kind of can relate o it now… ofcourse we are talking about mental pain here, a fast cricket ball hitting me on the knuckles still brings a grimace on my face.

So what happens when one gets mentally hurt? And what are their benefits?

•Shed a few silent tears – they clean the eyes

•Trudge to the nearest bar for some beer – beer gives you an appetite, which I’m sure most would agree, disappears when one is mentally hurt

•Do a self-evaluation – one should do that quite regularly… in this age of fast times, we often become strangers to ourselves.

•Swear that you will get even one day – brings in a spirit of competitiveness (this is specially important for the introverts among us)

•Teaches you that the world is an unfair place – so the next time you hurt someone, you will carry less emotional baggage and guilt about the whole affair

•Helps you do a reality check – you come to know that you can’t trust the concerned person before its too late (or, later)

•Gives you stuff to write upon on a hot lazy summer afternoon – helps in killing time, and gives you the sadistic pleasure of knowing that one day, some unsuspecting soul must have wasted more than a couple of minutes in reading the crap that you have written.


And that’s why, friends, Romans and countrymen, I love committing the same mistakes over and over again and keep getting hurt.

No comments: